Are you curious about Shanghai’s nighttime food scene? As the the sun sets and the woks fire up along the city’s fast-disappearing food streets, you’ll sample authentic dishes from two night markets, while sitting down at three tasting locations. While walking along the tour route in Shanghai’s Old Town, you’ll see how locals live in some of the city’s oldest neighborhoods – before the wrecking ball turns this area into high-rise apartment buildings
- Discover the best way to eat the classic Shanghai pan-fried soup dumplingshengjianbao without burning your tongue – you’ll use this tip again and again while in China!
- Experience local butchering street-side with deep-fried water snake, an exotic local treat, that tastes better than you expect – trust us
- Dive hands-first into the local market scene with stewed crawfish (yabbies) and grilled vegetable dishes with a special spice mix from Northwest China
- Sample delicious fruit puddings from Hong Kong
- Watch a culinary magician hand-pulled noodles from a block of dough in seconds
- Try the sweet pastry that was voted Shanghai’s best bing
- Find out why the fat-tailed sheep is one of the most prized for its flavor when you chow down on the lamb kebabs grilled by a Chinese Muslim minority
- Taste Shanghai’s most famous wontons smothered in an addictive peanut sauce
- Enjoy breakfast for dinner at a late-night soymilk stall
- Give your tastebuds a buzz with the fragrant spice from the Sichuan peppercorn at a local
- Get sauced on the local beers and the world’s most popular liquor – you’ve never had anything quite like this before
Evenings @ 6, 7 or 8pm
Duration: 2.5-3.5 hours
Ground Covered: 2 km (1.2 miles)
Price: RMB 450 per person
Children: Aged 5 and under are free, aged 6-12 are 225rmb
For more info on dietary restrictions, language availability, cancellation policy, meeting points and private tour info, see “More Info” below. This experience is vegetarian- and kid-friendly.
Included in your ticket:
-More than twenty dishes from six locations at three seated tasting stops
-Unlimited local beer & spirits
-Post-Tour Shanghai Welcome Pack with helpful restaurant recommendations, local travel tips & so much more to help make your stay in Shanghai the best
* Each tour has 3 seated stops that rotate based on tour date and time. Tours offer a tasting of ~15-20 dishes.
We’ll tantalize your tastebuds and leave your belly full or we’ll refund your ticket, no questions asked!
Exclusive Night Market + Chinese Wine Pairing Nights
Everything you wanted to know about (good) Chinese wine, but were too afraid to ask! We’ve selected three award-winning wines for an adults-only local nighttime food and drink extravaganza. You’ve never tasted local wine like this before! All food and drink included.Wine Tour Info Price: RMB 600
Saturday, May 21st @ 8pm – SOLD OUT
Saturday, June 18th @ 7pm
Saturday, July 16th @ 8pm
Saturday, August 13th @ 8pm
- Night Markets Food Tour Overview
- RMB 450 / Appx. US$70
- 3-3.5 hour duration
- All inclusive of guide, food tastings & drinks
- Reserve ticket online, pay guide cash at tour start
- Exact tour start meeting point instructions emailed upon booking - tour starts 15 min. walk south of People's Square
Exact meeting location details & bilingual taxi/subway directions will be emailed upon booking.
Our public tours are conducted solely in ENGLISH. If you’d like to book a private tour, we may be able to conduct the tour in Mandarin, depending on guide availability. Please check with us if you have a specific request.
Vegetarians are more than welcome and will find plenty to eat. We will make substitutions where possible.
Vegans will have a more limited selection, but we are able to make some substitutions + add in more veggies at one stop
Celiac disease – we are not able to make substitutions for those with celiacs disease as soy sauce is very prevalent in our tour stops
Nut/shellfish allergies – This tour serves shellfish at one stop. We are able to substitute the dishes out for you, but those with extreme allergies should reconsider joining, as we will not substitute the stop entirely. Nut allergies have not been a problem in the past, however we cannot guarantee that the utensils and other cooking tools have not touched any of the food tour ingredients. Please bring your epi pen or other meds to the tour if you choose to participate.
*Please note on some tours we may stop for fried water snake, including watching it be prepped & cleaned for cooking
If a booking is canceled at least 72 hours prior to the UnTour, we will refund the booking less 20%. Refunds will not be given for cancellations less than 72 hours in advance or no-shows. We will issue a full refund less 20% within 72 hours only in the event of an emergency (proof of emergency will be required in writing from airline, insurance company or doctor) or due to severe weather. In case of severe weather we will try to reschedule your UnTour for another day if applicable. If we are unable to do so then we will refund the booking in full. Find our full terms & conditions here.
You will receive detailed instructions with the meeting point upon booking. The starting and ending points for all our tours can be found through this link.
Private tours start at RMB 2,700 for 1-6 people. If you haven’t already, please click the ’email’ button in the header with your dates, the size of your party and which tours you are interested in so we can check our tour guide availability and get back to you about your private tour.